Monday, December 31, 2012

KaRyn's smile

A lot had happened since my last post, Thanksgiving, reuniting with my wife after 5 months, stomach virus, new video games, Christmas, playing with Meela, catching up with Netflix, survived Mayan's prediction of end of the world, visiting Oxford enduring sub-freezing temperatures etc. And now, New Year's eve which is pretty cool because it means that we're getting closer to my wife getting her Masters(5 months), moving her and Meela out of Oxford and to Baytown so that we won't be away from each other again, visiting my family in Malaysia, and hopefully by the end of the year, finding a perfect home in Texas for us. Yes I've already had pretty much all the main activities for 2013 planned out in my head, although we do not know what will happen the next hour or so.
Last year(2011) around November I did a couple of sketches of my baby niece KaRyn. I have not met her yet, and she's picking up words pretty fast as I heard her saying them over the phone. It's funny how you can miss a family whom you've not met or seen before, but that's how I feel right now. I miss all my family members, but because I never got the chance to even hold her close, it feels more like I am missing out. Anyway, here's another quick sketch(took me about 2 hours), perhaps this is my way of "getting to know" her, through every stroke of the pencil, and maybe this way she will be less of a stranger to me.
Pencil on Moleskine Sketchbook (5.5x3.5")

Thank you all for your comments and your time to browse my work. I really appreciate it a lot and I wish you all a fantastic year ahead and may all your hopes and dreams become reality :)

34 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart! And the sketch is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawing - so beautifully done. You have captured her joyful face, reminds me of my niece, whom I spent the day with today. I cannot wait until you have the opportunity--it will be wonderful. She already has you wrapped around her little finger and you haven't even met her yet. That's power! Best wishes for a healthy and happy new year, and may all of your many dreams and goals become true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I miss home so much Dan you have no idea. It's going to be 4 years soon, and it feels like forever. But once things have settled down, hopefully we'll be able to do this every year.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you Alex and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, Happy New Year to you and your family too

      Delete
  4. Another lovely portrait, Alex ! She looks really sweet and full of life !
    My very best wishes for a Happy New Year for you and yours !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it Martine. Same wishes go to you and your family as well :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Alex. Happy New Year to you and your family, it sounds as though it's going to be a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah Debra, if everything works well, this year is going to be awesome! Thanks and Happy New Year

      Delete
  6. What a beautifully written post Alex! I am astonished at how much you've been through this year. May 2013 be less hectic for you. And many blessings to you and your wife in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so much so that my blog probably should be changed to Monthly Art Assignment :p This year unfortunately will be pretty hectic too, but for the good. Wife meeting my family for the first time, I am still thinking of ways to capture all that. Cameras and videos...I need some professional dudes :D

      Delete
  7. Knew that you would do a special portrait! She has such a charming smile. What a schedule of events. Good luck with all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I didn't disappoint Sandra :) It's always good to know that something you do is able to please some other people

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful sketch, full of life and happiness! It's the best image to start the new year with, inspiring optimism and confidence in the future. I wish all the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucia, I wish you all the best and with good health and happiness

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of geting to know her with every pencil mark. Happy new year Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hear her over the phone too, but I think she thinks I am my brother when she's talking to me. She probably doesn't know it yet, but she has a very strong place in my heart

      Delete
  10. Happy New Years Alex!!! And I hope you'll be able to soon hold and give big hugs to little KaRyn and see all your family. Its a lovely drawing of her, real beautiful sun smile. Wishing you also all the best of 2013 and may all your dreams and plans all come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thank you Mari. Yes I will and yes I will :) I am wishing you the best for the year, and may your family be blessed with good health and happiness

      Delete
  11. Very heartwarming post. I love your drawing. All of your feelings about loving and missing KaRyn are very evident in the detail and loving attention you give to your drawing. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cutie! Your work is so special. Good luck with all your plans for 2013, may they all come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy, I really hope the plans will work out fine too. I just need my wife to do her part and everything else should just align itself for the plan to become reality

      Delete
  13. She's just beautiful and I totally understand your longing to see her. Happy new year, and I wish you and your family many blessings in the coming months? nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet Nancy. I wish you the same too and keep drawing those faces! :D

      Delete
  14. Oh my, she's adorable. And a fantastic drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is, and I can't to meet her ^^ Thanks Ankya

      Delete
  15. Such joy in her face and sparkle in her eyes...what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be so much fun when I actually get to meet her and play with her in September :) Thanks Margaret

      Delete
  16. Your portrait drawings are excellent, i wish i can draw like that..
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete